Advanced Study is an experience for students who complete a course or series of courses and would like to continue to advance their learning in that subject area when there isn't a scheduled course available.
- Often these experience will have a course framework already developed.
- Grade Level: 10,11 and 12
- Credit: .5 credits per semester
- Grading: Grade based on specific course/department competencies
- Off Campus?: Primarily this experience is on campus but there may be opportunities to connect with community partners off campus.
- Attendance Taken?: depends on situation
- Title in PowerSchool: ELO: Department Advanced Study
Once you've filled out the ELO Request Form and have been approved for an Advanced Study, you will need to do the following:
- This experience may require that you have a Mentor Teacher. The Mentor Teacher and/or ELO Coordinator is who you will meet with regularly to ensure you are meeting your goals and expectations. Your Mentor Teacher will provide guidance and expertise in the subject area of your choosing.
- Discuss your learning goals and expectations with your Mentor Teacher and ELO Coordinator and fill out the ELO Agreement Form and have it signed by:
- Lead Teacher
- Guidance Counselor
- ELO Coordinator
- Department Administrator
- Grade Level Administrator may be required
- If necessary, fill out the Off Campus Permission Form and Community Partner Agreement Form and get it
- signed by a Parent/Guardian.
- If, as part of your Advanced Study you are scheduled to do a one time job shadow that impacts your other classes, you are required to:
For your Advanced Study, you will be required to reflect on your experience. Reflection allows you to control your own learning by discussing what you are experiencing with your teacher and making necessary changes to meet your learning goals.
You will need to review the Reflection Form with your Mentor Teacher and/or ELO Coordinator
For more information, go to the REFLECTION page of this website.
During your Advanced Study research should guide your learning experience.
This can include but not limited to:
- Required textbook
- Online research related to the subject you are focusing on.
- Print or online resources recommended by your teacher(s)
You will need to review the Research Form with your Mentor Teacher and/or ELO Coordinator.
For more information, see the RESEARCH page of this website.
Advanced Studies require that you develop a tangible product that demonstrate the application of your knowledge and skills on the subject.
You will need to meet with your Mentor Teacher and/or Community Partner to discuss your final product and review the Product Form.
For more information, go to the PRODUCT page of this website.
Throughout your Internship, you will be assessed on the progress you are making on your:
Your final assessment grade is based on the Course and/or Department Competencies of your subject area.